VW Golf MK5 and MK6 Engine Torque Mount Inserts
The engineers at SuperPro have come up with a new range of engine torque mount inserts for VAG models. We find out how and why these overcome some of the problems caused by the original components.
Many models in the ranges from the Volkswagen Audi group feature an engine torque mounting designed to control the amount of forward and backwards movement created by the transversely mounted engine and gearbox under acceleration and deceleration.
However in the interests of reducing Noise Vibration & Harshness (NVH) in the cabin, these mounts feature quite large holes or ‘voids’. This can still create high levels of movement, especially in the higher performance models or on cars which have been modified, and the result is strain on exhaust joints and reduced precision in gearshifting.
SuperPro’s answer to this problem is a polyurethane insert which, when pushed into the voids in the original VAG mounting, effectively restrict the amount of movement the bush allows yet still retain the NVH insulating properties of the original mount. All of the models manufactured by VAG based on the MK5 Golf employ a mount of this design although there has been a mid-production change which can make identifying the correct mount more difficult. Installation of these mounts will reduce engine flex, reducing strain on exhaust joints and increasing the accuracy and feel of gear changes without significantly effecting NVH.
Installation is a relatively simple process:
- Using a 21mm socket/spanner, remove the rear engine support centre bolt that is mounted in the aluminium sub-frame
- Use the grease supplied to cover the new polyurethane bush and insert the bush into the mount, making sure the voids line up. Once the bush is started, a soft face hammer can be used to tap the bush all the way in.
- With the bush pushed all the way in insert the 28.5mm washer (the smaller of the two washers supplied) into the hole in the polyurethane bush. Place the remaining captivating washer on the original bolt and refit to the mount. Tighten the bolt to manufacturer specifications.
Part numbers and applications
- Audi A3, S3, Quattro 2004 on, Audi TT 2WD & 4WD 2006 and later
- SEAT Altea 2005 on, Leon 2005 on
- Skoda Octavia 2004 on, Superb 2008 on, Yeti 2009 on
- VW Eos 2006 on, Golf MK5 2WD & 4WD, Golf MK6 2WD & 4WD, Jetta 2006 on, Scirroco 2008 on, Passat 2006 on, Tiguan 2009 on, Touran 2003 on